Final Mission Post

14 July 2018


This will be our last missive from the mission. We’ll be here another week and a half, but we’ll mostly be getting ready to leave – clearing out, cleaning, doing all the final packing up, etc. – plus our usual meetings in the zone and in the mission, daily mission tasks and my physical therapy appointments.
Us, in our best mission photo.
It’s bittersweet to think of leaving, but, we are very glad we came. It’s been a good experience and we’ve met some wonderful people!

Some people know that we were being recruited for another mission — to manage the Family History Data Center in Frankfort, Germany. If we were to go on that mission, we’d be in NC for about 8 months, then, head to Germany for 18 months. However, the timing for that no longer feels right. So, we’ve told them to take our names off the list, and we won’t be going to Germany in 2019 after all. Although I’m feeling a tiny bit disappointed, we’ll see what the future brings. . .  There may be another mission down the road for us one day.

We’ve been reading in 3 Nephi recently — the chapters that speak of the Lord’s kindness and mercy and tenderness towards us. Such sweet verses! They lift the spirit!

I stopped taking the heavy, narcotic meds last weekend. I’ve needed them until now for pain management, and the doc has been gradually decreasing the dosage, to facilitate getting off of them. I’ve been surprised at how much better my whole body feels not taking those, even though I feel more localized pain in my leg. (However, I’m optimistic that will get better soon.) The physical therapist says I’m ahead of schedule as far as strength and range of motion, but the last thing to return is balance (i.e. not needing a cane for walking) and the exercises they’re having me do help with all three. (Because, of course, increasing strength and range of motion improves balance.)

We will miss being so close to the beautiful Salt Lake City temple. (And, it seems unlikely that we’ll ever again live within a five-minute walk of any temple. What a blessing that has been!)

We enjoyed a Days of '47 Pops Concert at Abravanel Hall last night. The band, Joshua Creek, were the guest artists. It was a fun beginning to all the Pioneer Day activities in the next couple of weeks. We don't have plans to attend the rodeo this year, but we do have tickets for the Mormon Tabernacle Choir's Pioneer Day concert next weekend. Then, we'll really be ready to finish up the final packing and get on the road. We leave here right after our farewell luncheon with the mission presidency on July 25 and arrive in NC on August 1.

1 comment:

Patti said...

My oh my! Your mission flew by so fast for me! It will be nice to have you back in the area. Kudos on visiting so many temples while you were in Salt Lake City. It sounds like you are progressing well physically. It took me a year to get my strength, flexibility and balance back just getting my meniscus repaired, so you are chugging along. Hope to see you soon!