Big Changes

16 June 2018

There were two big changes this week: On Tuesday, June 12, Bob and I were released as the zone leaders of the Digital Imaging Processing Zone in our mission. This kind of change is always bittersweet – but the new zone leaders, Elder and Sister Chin, will be wonderful. We have grown to love each missionary in our zone . . . and this moves us one step closer to saying a final farewell to everyone when our mission ends next month.

And, the other big change is that my physical therapist transitioned me from a walker to a cane this week! I’m happy for this change, and at the same time, still a bit wobbly. I definitely don’t feel as stable with a cane as I did with the walker. But, it’s good to be at this point. Perhaps it won’t be too much longer until I’m walking on my own, again, without any assistive devices.

There are six missionaries going home from our zone by the end of July, so we’re having a combined June/July farewell social on the 26th of this month. Elder and Sister Hinckley have kindly offered to host all of us in their home. It will be a “mostly” pot luck dinner in the evening. (Usually we just schedule a conference room for an hour or so during the day, share some treats, and bid farewell to those who are leaving us – so the location for this one makes it extra special.)
We serve with such dear, sweet people!!

Elder and Sister Cooper, from Pittsboro, NC, who are serving here in this mission with us, (and who I served in the Raleigh Temple with) spoke in sacrament meeting this past Sunday, and I’ve been reflecting on their words all week. Their topic was “ministering” and they both gave us some good things to ponder. Sister Cooper was kind enough to share her talk with me, and I want to pass along just a little of what she said.

She referenced this painting (above), which hangs in the MTC in Provo, and is also on page 132 of the May Ensign – and she talked about the difference between a shepherd and a sheep herder. You can see in this painting that this shepherd is standing quietly in the meadow while the sheep are moving toward him. He knows each of his sheep. And, they know him (they know his voice), and feel safe with him. They are drawn to him and follow him without compulsion.

A sheep herder, on the other hand, “pushes” the sheep from behind. Force (sometimes in the form of barking, snarling dogs) is used to compel the sheep to go where the herder wants them.

Clearly, the example set by the Savior is that of the Good Shepherd who draws us to him without force. Sister Cooper made the point that the ministering program of the Church offers each of us an opportunity to be true “under-shepherds” as we follow the Savior’s example. We can invite others – not to follow us, but, to follow us to the Shepherd.

She also made some great analogies from Psalm 23, but, perhaps I can share those another time.

1 comment:

Patti said...

*scream* I love the Coopers!! I didn't remember that they were serving with you guys. I am very excited that you have been graduated to a cane. It always amazes me how quickly missions fly by. Enjoy the last little bit of yours!