DARN! DARN! DARN! DARN!

Tuesday, 12 May 2009

I thought I'd be rid of these crutches today. Instead,the doc said I have to take it slowly and have my physical therapist work with me to begin partial-weight bearing and gradually move toward full-weight bearing over the next month. I really don't want to be going this slowly!!

(postscript - June 25) I forgot to say in my earlier post that the AU doc was wrong when he took away the crutches in early February and said I'd be fine. There's really no way to be "fine" while trying to walk around on a broken leg! After a couple of weeks of constant pain, etc. I sought a second opinion. The second doc offered what assistance he could - but by then, we already were preparing for our return to the U. S. so he couldn't do alot except give me some strong meds and refer me to a phsical therapist who put me back on crutches until I could get the leg repaired properly.
As soon as we got back to the U.S., I contacted docs at Duke Medical Center and went in for surgery on March 16 to repair the broken femur in my right leg. All went well and after a good deal of physical therapy, am finally at this stage. . .

Funny story -- on the day of my surgery, the doc was late arriving for my operation. Turns out it was because he was in another part of the state that morning assisting with surgery on a polar bear!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh that is a darn when you've gotten your hopes up! I am sorry, hang in there!!

Mandy said...

We are still thinking about you!!

Patti said...

No seminary in the morning so I'm going crazy and visiting all my favorite blogs. Two weeks later, how's the PT going? How is little..drats...I hate being old...John and Amanda's little one doing? I'm sending encouraging thoughts your way! :D