Wonderful Choir Performance!


24 Mar 2018

I’m excited that General Conference is only one week away! We have tickets for the Saturday afternoon session, and plan to watch all the other sessions on TV. These are exciting times!

This week, I had a couple of medical tests and check-ups — and the good news is that all is well. All my numbers look good, and I’ve even managed to lose a few pounds. (No easy feat at my age!) The down side is that there’s a new shingles vaccine and I really reacted to the first dose of it. (It comes in two doses, two months apart.) My arm has been sore for days and has a large red lump that’s warm to the touch and hurts all the time. Evidently, the old vaccine that both Bob  and I got several years ago wasn’t as effective as they thought it would be, so they’re recommending that we all get the new one. I was told my arm would be sore, but I think my reaction is more than the norm. Since I’ve heard that people get sick for about 24 hours after the second dose, I’m planning to talk to the doctor about the possibility of getting two half-doses for that one to try to diminish my reaction. We’ll see what he says. . .

Next week, Bob will have cataract surgery on his left eye. He had good results with the first surgery, so we expect the same for this one. It will still be a while before his vision has stabilized enough to get new lenses for his glasses. (It could take as much as a month.) He has commented that not only can he see significantly better from his right eye, but now colors are more vibrant than they were. If it wasn’t for his astigmatism, he probably wouldn’t need glasses at all after this surgery. It’s amazing what medical science can do!

Thursday night, we were blessed to attend a performance of The Messiah by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and the Orchestra at Temple Square. Magnificent! Powerful! and Amazing! are only a few of the words that come to mind. What a great opportunity for us! The choir only performs Handel’s Messiah every other year, and we’re grateful we got to attend.

Friday, we spent time in the Bountiful Temple. We’ll miss having so many temples near us after we get home.

Congratulations go out to some of our grandchildren: to Isabelle for scoring big in water polo, and for her flute performance in band; to Holly for her performance in the play, Puss ‘n Boots; to Claire for turning eight; and to little Jack who is being blessed this weekend. We miss all of the grandchildren and can hardly wait to spend time with them this summer!

One of the brothers who serves in our zone lived and worked in Russia for several years and he told the most amazing story the other day. It was another example of the Lord’s many tender mercies — in our lives, and in the lives of others. I’m trying to be more aware of the hand of the Lord in my life each day. And, to share His love with others. I know that He knows and loves each one of us. That He is aware of us. And, that he wants to bless us when we follow Him!

No comments: