WRITING IT DOWN

30 June 2009

I've been thinking lately about the need to record my life history. Over the years I've kept only a few rather skimpy and sporadic journals, and I'm now feeling a sense of urgency to leave behind some kind of first-person record of my life and my experiences.
I'm sure this desire was prompted by the fact that two of my friends died suddenly and unexpectedly within a day of each other at the end of May. Caryn was four years younger than me and had a brain embolism and Beth was four years older and had a heart attack. Though I'd known them both for more than 20 years, I learned some wonderful and delightful things about each of them at their funerals --- things I would have enjoyed knowing before they were gone. . .
Their sudden passing has renewed my sense of how tenuous life is and has inspired me to write about myself so that, perhaps, my children or grandchildren may know more about me.
I've written the first few pages and have made a list of photos I want to scan and include once we are more permanently settled (and can unpack all of our boxes).
Wish me luck - and perseverance - in this endeavor!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awesome!! What a treasure that will be your family and for future generations. I LOVE reading some of things that have been written in family genealogy by my great grandparents, things I would have never known otherwise. What a worthy and grand endeavor - Good Luck!!